Scholarships for First and Second Year Japanese
(i.e., JPNSE 1061 or JPNSE 1062)
We do not offer any scholarship for JPNSE 1020 or 1021.
- In-state tuition: All out-of-state students who register for either JPNSE 1061 or JPNSE 1062 will receive a scholarship that will reduce the tuition fee to the in-state tuition rate for the 10-week, 10-credit course. In 2017, for example, the the in-state tuition rate is $737/credit = $737 x 10 credits = $7,370.
- SEALS applicants intending to take JPNSE 1061 or JPNSE 1062 are eligible to apply for additional financial support. In 2014, for example, we were able to award five tuition-waiver scholarships. To apply for the SEALS scholarship, please send a letter of application (hard copy or e-mail) to Paula Locante, Administrator, Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures, 2717 Cathedral of Learning, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA 15260. In the letter, please include:
- Your name, address(es), phone, e-mail.
- Indicate whether you are interested in First Year Japanese or Second Year Japanese.
- Explain your academic background.
- Statement of purpose explaining the reason for studying Japanese and how training in Japanese will fit into your overall academic goal and/or professional career.
- Brief statement of why you need financial assistance.
- A transcript of your academic performance from postsecondary school(s) you attended.
March 15, 2017
There is no specific application form.